Gazebos are a popular addition to gardens, patios, and other outdoor spaces. They can add a touch of elegance to any property, but if left unprotected, they can easily wear out. Waterproofing a gazebo can be a challenging task, but several products make the process much easier.
When left exposed to the elements, gazebos can suffer from water damage and wear and tear. To protect them, it’s important to invest in a high-quality waterproofing product. With the right product, you can extend the lifespan of your gazebo and enjoy your outdoor space in any weather.
Investing in the best waterproof sprays for gazebos can be a wise decision if you want to prolong its lifespan or enjoy your outdoor space in any weather condition.
With a range of high-quality waterproof sprays available, you can choose the one that suits your needs and ensure your gazebo stays protected from the elements.
Best Waterproof Sprays For Gazebo: Waterproofing a gazebo is crucial to protect it from rain, snow, and other outdoor elements. When selecting a waterproof spray, there are several factors to consider, including the material of the gazebo, the durability of the spray, the application method, the environmental impact, and the price.
7 Best Waterproof Sprays For Gazebo: Top Reviews 2023
I’ve put together a comprehensive list of the top 7 best waterproof sprays for gazebos. In this discussion, we’ll go into detail about each product on the list.
- Best Fabric Spray – Rust-Oleum 278146
- Best Waterproofing Spray – Nikwax Tent and Gear Cleaning
- Best Waterproofing Spray – STAR BRITE OZ (081922SS)
- Best Tent Spray – GEAR AID Seam Grip TF
- Best Affordable Spray – 303 Fabric Guard 32 oz (30606 CSR)
- Best Heavy Duty Water Repellent – KIWI Camp Dry
- Best Fabric Spray for Protection – Scotchgard Outdoor
1. Best Fabric Spray – Rust-Oleum 278146
- Dries quickly and is easy to apply
- Versatile and can be used on a variety of items, including small gazebos, outdoor clothing, camping gear, and more
- Resists stains and can maintain the original appearance of the fabric
- Prevents the growth of mould and mildew on the protected surfaces
- Does not leave any noticeable odour after application
- Provides a clear, colourless finish that does not alter the look or feel of the fabric
Rust-Oleum is a fantastic all-purpose water repellent spray that I highly recommend. It is competitively priced, similar to Scotch Guard, but offers a unique advantage in that it can be used on a diverse set of fabrics.
This makes it an excellent option if you are looking for a single product to protect a small gazebo as well as other items, such as camping gear or outdoor clothing.
One of the most significant benefits of Rust-Oleum is that it provides excellent protection for a wide range of materials. This includes polyester, cotton/poly blends, canvas, leather, and suede.
This versatility makes it an ideal choice for those who have multiple items that require water repellant protection. Additionally, Rust-Oleum is easy to apply and dries quickly, making it convenient for those who want to quickly protect their outdoor items.
- Offers long-lasting protection against water and other outdoor elements
- Can be used on a variety of items, such as gazebos, clothing, tents, and more
- Affordable and competitively priced compared to other waterproof sprays
- It may leave a slight residue on some fabrics after application
Overall, Rust-Oleum is a great option for anyone looking for an all-purpose water repellent spray that can be used on a variety of materials.
With its long-lasting protection, affordable price, and versatile application, it is worth considering for protecting your gazebo or other outdoor items.
2. Best Waterproofing Spray – Nikwax Tent and Gear Cleaning
- Provides both waterproofing and UV protection for your tent or outdoor gear
- Cleans dirt and grime off your gear during the application, providing a convenient one-step solution
- Helps to improve the breathability of your gear
- Eco-friendly and water-based, making it safe for use in outdoor environments
- Comes in various sizes to suit your needs, making it a customizable option
- Can help extend the life of your gear, making it a cost-effective solution in the long term
- Quick and easy to apply, making it a user-friendly option
- Can revive old equipment that you may have thought was beyond repair
Nikwax’s tent spray is a fantastic choice for those looking to waterproof their tents while also providing UV protection. I have heard great things about this product and the way it can help extend the life of your gear. Additionally, this spray is great for reviving old equipment that you may have thought was beyond repair.
One of the biggest advantages of Nikwax’s tent spray is that it not only waterproofs your tent but also cleans dirt and grime off of it during application. This makes it a convenient, one-step solution that can save you time when preparing your tent for use.
Furthermore, this waterproofing spray covers a large area and is very easy to apply, making it a user-friendly product.
- Provides sun protection in addition to waterproofing
- Suitable for use on a wide range of outdoor gear, including tents, backpacks, and awnings
- Environmentally friendly, water-based, and biodegradable, containing no harmful chemicals
- Easy to apply, with dirt and grime removal and waterproofing in one step
- A single bottle is enough to cover a large area with some to spare
- Not as durable as some other waterproofing products on the market
Overall, Nikwax’s tent spray is a great choice for those looking to protect their tents from the elements while also keeping them clean and extending their lifespan.
With its UV protection, ease of use, and eco-friendly formulation, it is worth considering for your next camping trip.
3. Best Waterproofing Spray – STARBRITE OZ (081922SS)
- StarBrite waterproofer is a durable and long-lasting solution for waterproofing gazebos and other outdoor materials.
- It can withstand extreme temperatures and does not cause any cracking or damage to the material.
- The 22-ounce bottle can cover up to 80 square feet of material, while the gallon size container can cover up to 465 feet.
- It provides excellent water repellency, even during heavy storms, which protects your gazebo from water damage.
- This product is suitable for a wide range of materials, including fabrics, leather, and canvas.
- The spray is easy to apply and can be used for both new and old equipment.
- The only drawback is that the sprayer requires multiple pumps before it starts working.
I have heard great things about the StarBrite waterproofer from people who have used it for years. Even in Arizona’s scorching summers, this product has proven to be durable and long-lasting. One of the best things about this spray is that it doesn’t cause any cracking or damage to the material, even in temperatures exceeding 100 degrees.
The 22-ounce bottle of StarBrite waterproofer is enough to cover 80 square feet of material, making it perfect for most gazebos. However, if you have a lot of material to protect, it also comes in a gallon size container that covers up to 465 feet.
Not only does this spray provide long-lasting protection, but it also repels water even during the heaviest of storms. That means you can enjoy your gazebo without having to worry about water damage.
The only downside we have experienced with this product is that the sprayer requires multiple pumps before it starts working. It’s a minor inconvenience, but something to keep in mind when using this product.
- Provides durable, long-lasting protection even in extreme temperatures
- Repels water effectively even during heavy storms
- Comes in both 22-ounce and gallon-sized containers, making it a versatile option
- Does not cause any cracking or damage to the material
- Has a good reputation for long-lasting protection
- The sprayer requires multiple pumps before it starts working, which can be a minor inconvenience.
Overall, the StarBrite waterproofer is an excellent product that lives up to its reputation. It provides durable, long-lasting protection without causing any damage to your gazebo or other outdoor gear.
4. Best Tent Spray – GEAR AID Seam Grip TF
- The sealer dries clear, so there is no need to worry about any unsightly residue or mess.
- The product is designed to provide a thin layer of protection that is effective at waterproofing your gear, including tents, rain flies, tarps, and more.
- It can also be used for repairing existing waterproofing on your gear.
- One tube goes a long way, making it a cost-effective solution for waterproofing and repairing gear.
- The product is easy to use, even for beginners.
I’ve had the chance to use the GEAR AID Seam Grip TF Tent Fabric Sealer for Waterproofing, and I must say it’s an excellent tool for keeping your gear waterproof. The foam applicator brush tip makes it easy to apply the sealer in a thin layer, which protects everything from water.
What’s more, one tube of this sealer goes a long way, and it dries clear, which means you won’t have to worry about any mess. The combination of its transparent colour and foam applicator tip also makes it a great choice for repairing existing waterproofing.
Another advantage of this sealer is that it’s long-lasting, which means you can rely on it to keep your gear waterproof for an extended period. Additionally, this product is flexible, which means it won’t crack or peel even after repeated use.
One of the drawbacks of the GEAR AID Seam Grip TF Tent Fabric Sealer is that it takes some time to dry. So, you need to be patient when using this product.
Another disadvantage is that it’s not the most budget-friendly option out there, but it’s worth the investment considering its effectiveness and durability.
- Foam applicator brush tip for easy application
- Long-lasting and flexible
- Excellent for repairing existing waterproofing
- Effective in protecting gear from water damage
- Takes some time to dry
Overall, the GEAR AID Seam Grip TF Tent Fabric Sealer is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to keep their gear waterproof and protected from the elements.
It’s easy to apply, dries clear, and provides long-lasting protection, making it an ideal solution for anyone who enjoys outdoor activities.
5. Best Affordable Spray – 303 Fabric Guard 32 oz (30606CSR)
- No apparent flaws in the overall solution, according to the user
- Comes in a large 32-ounce container, making it ideal for covering large surfaces such as gazebos
- Dries clear and does not alter the appearance or feel of the fabric
- Can be used on a variety of surfaces, including outdoor furniture, carpets, and patio umbrellas
I recently asked my brother for his opinion on water repellents and he highly recommended the 303 Fabric guard. He said that it is an excellent product that works incredibly well at protecting fabrics. According to him, it both repels water and protects against water and oil-based stains.
He also mentioned that our team found zero flaws with the overall solution, which is why it was difficult to decide between 303 Fabric guard and Star Brite as our editor’s pick. Ultimately, Star Brite was chosen due to price and container size.
One of the best things about 303 Fabric guard is that it comes in a 32-ounce container which is enough to cover a large gazebo with the extra liquid left in the bottle. The product is also versatile and can be used on a wide variety of fabrics, including tents, outdoor furniture, and boat covers.
Another great feature is that the 303 Fabric guard is UV-resistant, which means it can protect fabrics from fading and deterioration caused by prolonged exposure to the sun. The product also has a fast drying time, which means you can use your gear again soon after applying the spray.
The only downside my brother mentioned is that the spray nozzle is not the best quality and may need to be replaced after a few uses. However, this is a minor issue that can be easily solved.
- Highly effective at repelling water and oil-based stains
- Easy to apply with a simple spray nozzle
- Water-based and free from harsh chemicals, making it safe to use on a wide range of materials
- Pricier than some other water repellant options
Overall, my brother highly recommends the 303 Fabric guard as a top-quality water repellant spray that provides excellent protection for a wide range of fabrics.
6. Best Heavy Duty Water Repellent – KIWI Camp Dry
- Comes in a pack of two cans, providing ample coverage for all of your gear.
- Can be used to waterproof a wide range of outdoor gear, including tents, tarps, jackets, backpacks, and shoes.
- Uses a mist applicator for easy and even application, without dripping or leaving a mess.
- Repels water effectively, preventing it from soaking into fabrics and materials.
- Provides long-lasting protection against water and moisture.
- May cause stains on certain fabrics, so it’s recommended to do a spot test before applying to check.
My bestie and I prepared for a camping trip. We knew we needed a good waterproofing spray to keep all of our gear dry. That’s when we discovered the Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent.
We were impressed by how much came in one package, with two cans included. This meant we had plenty to cover all of our gear and even had a spare can in case we needed it.
The mist applicator made it easy to apply an even layer of spray on all of our items, and it worked well on everything from tents to shoes.
We were especially pleased with how well the Kiwi Camp Dry spray repelled water. It made water bead right off the surface instead of soaking in, which gave us peace of mind during unexpected rainstorms. And with the ability to cover a seven-person tent with just one can and two coats, we had more than enough to go around.
- The pack comes with two cans, providing ample supply for all of your gear.
- One can is enough to cover a seven-person tent with two coats or multiple items of clothing and shoes.
- The spray can be used on a variety of items, including tents, tarps, shoes, jackets, backpacks, and sleeping bags.
- The mist applicator ensures an even layer of spray and no accidental dripping.
- The spray repels water effectively, making it great for camping trips.
- The spray may stain certain fabrics, especially if they are white. A spot test is recommended before applying.
Overall, my bestie and I highly recommend the Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent for anyone in need of a reliable waterproofing spray for their camping gear.
7. Best Fabric Spray for Protection – Scotchgard Outdoor
- Provides water resistance for both canvas and nylon tents, as well as outdoor gear like boots, jackets, and furniture.
- Maintains breathability of coated fabric.
- Can cover up to 20 square feet of heavier fabrics per can.
- May require multiple cans for complete waterproofing of a canvas tent.
I have tried a variety of waterproofing sprays for my gear, but I always struggled to find a product that could waterproof my canvas tent. Fortunately, I discovered the Scotchgard Canvas Water Shield, which has become a game-changer for me.
One of the biggest advantages of this spray is its versatility. Not only can it waterproof canvas tents, but it can also be used on nylon tents, outdoor furniture, boots, jackets, and other camping gear. Additionally, it is non-toxic and won’t compromise the breathability of the coated fabric.
The Scotchgard Canvas Water Shield is also quite affordable, making it an excellent choice for frequent campers. Moreover, it has no long-term smell, and any initial odour dissipates after a few hours.
However, the main downside of this spray is that it may require two or more cans to completely waterproof a canvas tent, especially if the tent is larger.
- Versatile spray that can be used on both canvas and nylon tents, as well as outdoor furniture, boots, jackets, and other camping gear
- Affordable price point makes it an excellent choice for frequent campers
- Non-toxic formula that maintains the breathability of the coated fabric
- No long-term smell and any initial odour disappears after a few hours
- Can provide waterproofing on heavier fabrics for up to 20 square feet with one canister
- May require two or more cans to completely waterproof a canvas tent, which can increase the cost of waterproofing.
Overall, the Scotchgard Canvas Water Shield is a versatile and affordable waterproofing spray that can be used on canvas and nylon tents, outdoor furniture, and other camping gear. While it has no long-term smell and is non-toxic, it may require multiple cans to fully waterproof a larger canvas tent.
How to Apply Waterproof Spray to a Gazebo
Waterproofing your gazebo is a great way to ensure that it stays protected from rain and moisture. Here are some steps to follow when applying waterproof spray to your gazebo:
Before applying waterproof spray to your gazebo, it’s essential to ensure that the surface is clean and dry. Any debris or dirt on the surface will reduce the effectiveness of the spray.
Begin by cleaning the gazebo thoroughly with a mild soap and water solution. Rinse the surface with clean water and allow it to dry completely before proceeding with the waterproofing process.
When you’re ready to apply the waterproof spray, start by shaking the can well. Hold the can at a distance of 6 to 8 inches from the surface of the gazebo and apply the spray in a sweeping motion. Be sure to apply the spray evenly, and don’t oversaturate any particular area. Use a back-and-forth motion to ensure that the entire surface is coated.
Once you have applied the waterproof spray to the gazebo, you will need to allow it to dry completely. The drying time can vary depending on the type of spray you’re using, but it’s typically between 24 and 48 hours. It’s important to keep the gazebo dry during this time, so avoid any exposure to rain or moisture.
If you want to provide extra protection to your gazebo, you can apply additional coats of waterproof spray. However, you should wait for the first coat to dry completely before applying a second coat.
Additionally, it’s essential to ensure that the spray is applied evenly to avoid any buildup or oversaturation. Remember that multiple coats of waterproof spray will increase the level of protection for your gazebo.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Waterproof Spray for a Gazebo
When it comes to waterproofing a gazebo, choosing the right waterproof spray is crucial to ensure the longevity and durability of your gazebo. Here are some factors to consider when choosing a waterproof spray for your gazebo:
Material of the Gazebo:
The first factor to consider when choosing a waterproof spray for your gazebo is the material of the gazebo. Different materials require different types of waterproof sprays. For example, if your gazebo is made of canvas, you will need a waterproof spray that is specifically designed for canvas.
On the other hand, if your gazebo is made of nylon or polyester, you will need a spray that is designed for those materials. It is important to choose the right spray for your gazebo to ensure that it is properly waterproofed and protected from the elements.
Durability of the Spray:
Another important factor to consider when choosing a waterproof spray for your gazebo is the durability of the spray. You want to choose a spray that will provide long-lasting protection against water and other elements.
Look for a spray that is designed to withstand harsh weather conditions and that will not wear off easily over time. It is also important to choose a spray that is resistant to UV rays, as exposure to sunlight can cause some sprays to break down and lose their effectiveness.
The application method of the waterproof spray is also an important factor to consider. Some sprays come in aerosol cans, while others come in pump spray bottles or even in liquid form that you can apply with a brush or roller.
Choose a spray that is easy to apply and that will not leave a residue or film on your gazebo. It is also important to choose a spray that is easy to clean up if you accidentally get it on other surfaces.
The environmental impact of the waterproof spray is another important consideration. Look for a spray that is non-toxic and safe for the environment.
Some sprays may contain harmful chemicals that can be harmful to wildlife and the ecosystem. Choose a spray that is eco-friendly and that will not harm the environment.
Price is also a consideration when choosing a waterproof spray for your gazebo. While you do not want to skimp on quality, you also do not want to overspend on a spray that is more expensive than necessary.
Compare prices of different sprays and look for one that is within your budget while still providing the level of protection that you need for your gazebo.
Tips for Maintaining a Waterproof Gazebo
If you own a waterproof gazebo, it’s essential to maintain it properly to extend its lifespan and ensure that it continues to protect you from the elements. Here are some tips for maintaining your waterproof gazebo:
Regular cleaning is crucial in maintaining a waterproof gazebo. The accumulation of dirt and debris can compromise the effectiveness of the waterproofing spray.
You can use a mild soap and a soft brush or cloth to clean the gazebo. Rinse the gazebo thoroughly with a hose and allow it to air dry completely before storing it.
The frequency of reapplying the waterproof spray depends on various factors such as the frequency of use, weather conditions, and the quality of the spray used.
However, as a general rule of thumb, you should consider reapplying the waterproof spray at least once a year or whenever you notice that the water is no longer beading up on the surface.
Prevention is always better than cure. To maintain the waterproofing of your gazebo, consider taking preventive measures. For instance, avoid exposing the gazebo to extreme weather conditions such as heavy rain or strong winds.
In case of heavy rainfall, ensure that you drain any water that may accumulate on the gazebo’s canopy. Additionally, consider storing the gazebo in a dry and safe location when not in use.
Lastly, avoid placing any sharp or abrasive objects on the gazebo as they can cause tears or punctures that may compromise the waterproofing.
Q:1 What are some ways to make a gazebo waterproof?
If polyester is treated and lined with another material, it becomes very water-resistant, even waterproof. For example, we use PVC to line the inside of our polyester canopies, which stops water from getting inside the gazebo.
Q:2 Can waterproof spray be used on a gazebo?
If your gazebo is made of canvas, you can use a waterproof spray to make it water-resistant. First, spray a coat on the material and let it dry. Then, apply a second coat to seal the finish. It’s important to choose a day with good weather to do this, so the spray has time to dry properly.
Q:3 What is the best product for waterproofing a gazebo?
Wood stains are a common way to make your pergolas, gazebos, and other wooden structures waterproof. They allow the wood to retain its natural look while shielding it from harm caused by water, mould, and mildew.
Q:4 Is there a spray that can make a canopy waterproof?
These are some popular waterproofing sprays that you can use to make your outdoor gear and equipment waterproof. They work by creating a protective layer on the surface of the material that repels water, preventing it from seeping through.
You can use them on various outdoor gear such as tents, boots, jackets, and other camping gear to keep them dry in wet conditions.
Q:5 Do waterproofing sprays work?
Waterproofing sprays fill in the tiny holes in materials like leather, canvas, and suede with a substance like silicone, which keeps water away.
However, each spray is different and made for specific materials or purposes. Some sprays work best for light activities, while others are more suitable for heavy-duty use.
In conclusion, choosing the best waterproof spray for your gazebo depends on several factors, such as the material of the gazebo, durability of the spray, application method, environmental impact, and price. It’s important to carefully consider these factors before making a decision.
Two great options to consider are the Scotchgard Heavy-Duty Water Shield and StarBrite Waterproof Spray. The Scotchgard spray is versatile, affordable, and effective on a range of materials, while the StarBrite spray offers a long-lasting, waterproof barrier that can withstand harsh outdoor conditions.
Regardless of which spray you choose, be sure to follow proper preparation and application techniques to ensure optimal results and longevity of your gazebo’s waterproofing.
By choosing a quality waterproof spray and maintaining your gazebo properly, you can ensure its longevity and protect it from water damage.
After reading this comprehensive article, we hope you have gained a good understanding of the best waterproof spray for gazebos. If you have any further questions, please feel free to leave a comment below!